Green River trout fishing is the best option for avid anglers looking for the ultimate fishing experience. The Green River is a world-famous trout fishing destination. It boasts stunning scenic views and clear waters.
Where to fish the Green River
The Green River runs hundreds of miles through Wyoming, providing anglers with endless opportunities to catch trophy-sized trout. There are however, a few areas that are known for producing the best trout fishing.
The Flaming Gorge Dam is one of the most popular spots for Green River trout fishing. This area is well-known for its large rainbow and brown trout as well as the beautiful canyon scenery.
The A section of the Green River is another great spot for trout fishing. This section of the river is known for its clear waters and shallow riffles. It is an ideal location to cast dry flies.
You can fish in the B and C sections of the Green River if you are looking for a more remote experience. These areas can only be reached by kayak, canoe, or on foot. However, the rewards are in the form wild trout and pristine waters.
What gear should you bring to Green River trout fishing?
The right gear is crucial to your success when trout fishing on Green River. Here are some items you should bring:
- Fly rod: A 9-foot flyrod with a 5-weight line makes a great all-round choice for fishing on Green River.
- Fly reel: Match your fly rod to your line weight and rod to match your fly reel
- Fly line: The most versatile option for Green River fishing is the floating fly line.
- Waders: For summer heat, breathable waders are recommended.
- Wading boots: Wading boots should be comfortable and have good traction.
- Flies: You can bring a variety dry flies, streamers, and nymphs to match the hatches and cover all types and water.
- Tippet: For most Green River fishing situations, a 4x-6x tippet is suitable.
- Sun protection: Wear sunglasses, a hat and sunscreen to shield yourself from the harsh Wyoming sun.
What to Expect from Green River Fishing Seasons
The Green River offers trout fishing opportunities all year round, but the conditions and types that can be caught depend on the season.
The spring is from March to May. The water is high and swift, making nymphing a great way to fish. This time, the most popular species is brown trout, but you can also catch rainbow and cutthroat trout.
The best time to fish the Green River is June through August. Dry fly fishing is the best method of fishing because the river is usually lower and clearer. Rainbow and cutthroat trout can be found abundantly, while brown trout can still be caught.
The best time to catch trophy brown trout on Green River is September through November. Streamer fishing is the best method to catch this fish. The scenery is spectacular as the leaves change color.
Winter is from December to February and is considered the off-season when Green River trout fishing. If you aren’t afraid of the cold, it is still possible to catch trout in the river.
Green River trout fishing offers anglers the chance to catch trophy-sized trout in stunning natural surroundings. You can get the most out your Green River fishing trip if you have the right gear and knowledge about the best spots to fish. Enjoy your fishing trip!