Queen Fish is a very popular saltwater fish for anglers and seafood enthusiasts. It is well-known for its delicate taste, rich flavor, firm texture, and popularity among seafood lovers worldwide. This article will cover everything you need to know about this queen fish, including its habitat, diet, distinctive features, health benefits, and popular recipes.
Queen Fish: Overview
The Seriola lalandi, also known scientifically as the queen fish, is a species that belongs to the Carangidae Family. Queenfish is a marine fish that lives near the ocean surface, and it can be found in the Pacific and Indian Oceans. It can be found in tropical waters that have temperatures between 20 and 24 degrees Celsius.
Queen Fish is a slim, elongated fish with a long body. It can grow up to 5ft in length and weighs between 15 and 25 pounds. It has a silvery-white top and a olive-green tail. There are five to six dark stripes running from the head to the tail. The queen fish is a strong fighter and a difficult game fish to catch.
Queen Fish: Habitat & Distribution
The queen fish is found in many regions around the world, including the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean. It can be found in temperate and tropical waters, ranging from 20 to 24 degrees Celsius. Queen fish live in large schools and are known to prefer open water, kelp beds and rocky reefs.
Queenfish can be found along the east coast of Australia, from southern Queensland to New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia. They can also be found in waters off Western Australia, the North Territory, especially in the Coral Sea or along the Great Barrier Reef.
Queen Fish: Diet
The queen fish is a carnivore and eats small fish, squid, and other crustaceans. It is a predatory species and can be found actively feeding throughout the day. The queen fish can also hunt in schools and trap prey against reefs, making them easy to catch.
Queen Fish: Unique Features
Queen fish are known for their long, slim bodies. It is an excellent swimmer because of its streamlined body. It has a dark olive green color on its upper body and reflective scales that give it silver sheen on its lower body. The dark lateral stripes running along the length of its body are the most distinctive feature of the queen fish. These dark lateral stripes usually extend from the head to the tail. These teeth are used to catch prey.
Queen Fish: Health Benefits
Queen fish is a great source of protein, as well as omega-3 fatty acid, which are essential for maintaining a healthy brain, heart, and immune system. Omega-3 fatty acid can also reduce inflammation, which can help lower the risk of developing chronic diseases like arthritis and heart disease. Queen fish is low in fat and high-in potassium, making it a great food choice for healthy eating.
Queen Fish: Popular Recipes
Grilled Queen Fish
- 4 Queen Fish Fillets
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oils
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to your liking
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Season the fish fillets with salt, pepper, garlic, and clean them.
- Turn the grill on high heat.
- Use olive oil to brush the fish fillets on both sides.
- Place the fish fillets onto the grill and cook for 5-7 min on each side.
- Place the fish on the grill. Drizzle with fresh lemon juice.
- Serve hot
Queen Fish Curry
- 2-3 Queen fish fillets
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1-inch ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to your liking
- Season the fish fillets with salt and turmeric powder.
- Over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil in large saucepan.
- Sauté the chopped onions until translucent.
- Sauté the ginger and minced garlic for another minute, or until fragrant.
- Stir in the ground cumin, coriander and chili powder and continue to saute for a further minute.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Place the fish fillets in a pan and cook for 10-15 mins or until cooked through.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve hot
The queen fish is a saltwater fish species that is well-known for its exceptional taste and health benefits. It is a predatory fish that feeds on small fish, crustaceans, and even squid. It can be found in many regions around the world, including the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean. Queen fish can be used in many dishes, including grilled fish and curry. Queen fish is a great addition to any seafood lover’s meal due to its health benefits and delicious taste.