Freshwater fishing is a popular outdoor activity in Florida. This is not surprising, given the abundance of pristine rivers, lakes and streams. Before you can pack your gear and cast your line out, you need to obtain a Florida Freshwater Fishing License. This guide will tell you everything you need about getting a Florida fishing license.
What is a Florida Freshwater Fishing License (FLFS)?
A Florida freshwater license is a permit which allows you to legally fish on Florida’s freshwater bodies. To obtain a Florida Freshwater Fishing License, you must meet eligibility requirements and submit the appropriate license type.
Who Needs to Have a Florida Freshwater Fishing License
Anyone who wishes to fish in Florida’s freshwater bodies must have a Florida freshwater license. This requirement applies to visitors to Florida who wish to fish in freshwater bodies.
What Are the Eligibility requirements for a Florida Freshwater Fishing License
To be eligible to obtain a Florida freshwater license, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be a resident of Florida or a non-resident
- Have a valid Social Security Number or Alien Registration Number
- Pay the fees prescribed for the license type
- No license suspension or revocation from any state or country
What are the different types of Florida freshwater fishing licenses?
There are several types Florida freshwater fishing permits, including:
- Florida residents can only purchase a Resident Freshwater fishing license. Valid for 12 month from the date of purchase.
- Non-Resident Freshwater fishing license: Available only to non-Florida residents. Valid for a maximum of three months after the date of purchase.
- Florida residents can purchase a five-year resident freshwater fishing license. Valid for five years after the date of purchase.
- Florida residents can only get a Lifetime Resident Freshwater fishing license. Valid for life.
How to Apply for Florida Freshwater Fishing License
You can apply for a Florida Freshwater Fishing License in one of two ways:
- Online: Visit Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission website, complete the application form and make payment online.
- By Mail: Print the application form and fill it out. Then mail it with the payment to the address on the form.
- In Person: Visit one of the authorized vendors in Florida or the county tax collector offices to fill out the application and make payment in person.
What is the cost of a Florida Freshwater Fishing License?
The cost of a Florida Freshwater Fishing License depends on the license type you purchase. The following table lists the fees for each type of license as of 2022.
|License Type||Resident Fee||Non-Resident Fee|
|Residents Freshwater Fishing||$17.00||N/A|
|Non-Resident Freshwater fishing (3 days)||N/A||$17.00|
|Non-Resident Freshwater fishing (7 days)||N/A||$30.00|
|Non-Resident Freshwater fishing (30 days).||N/A||$47.00|
|Five-Year Resident Fishing License||$79.00||N/A|
|Lifetime Resident Freshwater Fishery||$301.50||N/A|
Where can I use my Florida freshwater fishing license?
A Florida freshwater license allows you to fish any freshwater body within the state of Florida. This includes natural and manmade lakes, ponds and rivers. You can also fish the public waterbodies accessible via piers, docks or bridges.
What are the rules and regulations for freshwater fishing in Florida?
It’s important to know the rules and regulations that govern freshwater fishing in Florida before you head out to fish. The primary regulations include:
- License Requirements Anyone fishing in freshwater bodies of Florida must have a valid Florida freshwater fish license.
- You must follow the catch limits for each fish species. The size and season of fish will determine the catch limits.
- Closed seasons and special regulations: Some fish species have closed season or special regulations. Check the current regulations prior to heading out to fish.
- Bait Restrictions – Certain fish species have restrictions on the type of bait they can use. You must adhere to these restrictions in order to avoid legal issues.
What Are the Benefits Of A Florida Freshwater Fishing License
The benefits of a Florida freshwater fishing permit include:
- Fishing in Florida’s freshwater is legal.
- Supports the conservation and protection of fish habitats in Florida.
- Funds research projects to aid in the management and conservation of Florida’s freshwater fishing resources.
What Happens If I Am Found Fishing Without A Florida Freshwater Fishing License?
Fishing without a Florida Freshwater Fishing License is a punishable offence. You may face fines, forfeitures or even imprisonment. The penalty can vary from $50 to $500 depending on the severity of your offense. In extreme cases, you could lose your fishing privileges.
A Florida freshwater fishing permit is required for any angler who plans to fish in Florida’s freshwater bodies. It allows you to fish legally, avoid penalties and also helps conserve Florida’s freshwater resources. Remember to follow the rules governing Florida’s freshwater fishing and help protect this natural resource.